Dominica's tourism products are based on an extensive range of natural environmental, heritage/cultural and urban assets. As outlined in various reports, Tropical Storm Erika and Hurricane Maria severely damaged the physical infrastructure underlying Dominica's tourism products, thereby adversely affecting the growth potential of the country's tourism sector.
Moreover, to date, Dominica has mainly relied on the natural attractions as the motivation for tourists to visit. This is a 'primary factor driven' approach, characterised by low investment and medium to low quality product.
Recognising that the future growth of Dominica's tourism depends directly on having attractive 'world class' tourism products and experiences on offer, Government plans to implement an 'investment-driven' strategy over the next 3 to 5 years to achieve this.
To guide this 'investment driven' strategy, a comprehensive review of Dominica's tourism products is required, with recommendations on a) enhancing the current tourism product experience and b) new product developments.
Objective, Purpose and Expected Results
- Overall objective
- The overall objective of the assignment is to improve the performance and competitiveness of the tourism sector in Dominica
- The purpose of this contract is to provide a range of Technical Advisory Services to assess and enhance the physical product and experiential offerings of the destination and formulate a strategic plan, an action plan and methodology to implement and operate recommended interventions
Results to be Achieved by the Consultant/Agency
- Assessment of Sites and Attractions
- Detailed recommendations for new product developments
- Market and financial analysis
- Investment options
Commencement Date and Period of Execution
- Tentative start date: May 24, 2021
- Period of execution: Ten (10) weeks
- Professional/team with knowledge and at least 10 years' experience in the field of product development, tourism/service business development and/or tourism/service business operations. Such experience to include:
- Trail, site or attraction development or management
- Business development with proven track record of taking a concept and commercializing it (meaning bringing it to market)
- First-hand experience and/or lead on efforts to design physical spaces and elements of physical and experiential product innovation
- First-hand experience and/or lead efforts of improving service-related innovations
- At least five years' experience in financial analysis
- Expertise in architecture/technical drawing and designs
- Expertise in the development of cost estimates
All submissions must be done by completing the PROPOSAL RESPONSE FORM (PDF, 173 KB) found at the following address http://tourism.gov.dm/news-and-media/press-release/89-product-development-consultant.
- Submissions by any other means will not be considered
- Proposal Response Form must be received at the address below not later than 4:00 pm Eastern Caribbean Time on Monday April 26, 2021
Attention: Colin Piper
CEO/Director of Tourism
Discover Dominica Authority
Marpin House, P. O. Box 293
5-7 Great Marlborough Street
COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA
- The sealed envelope containing each submission should include the name and address of the applicant and shall be clearly marked "CONFIDENTIAL"
- Consideration will be given to qualifications, technical competence and relevant previous experience, financial capability and existing contractual commitments. All information must be submitted in English. The full Terms of Reference (PDF, 205 KB), PROPOSAL RESPONSE FORM (PDF, 173 KB) and other templates can be found at http://tourism.gov.dm/news-and-media/press-release/89-product-developmentconsultant.
- Discover Dominica Authority reserves the right to cancel the present invitation partially or in its entirety. It will not be bound to assign any reason for not shortlisting any applicant and will not defray any costs incurred by any applicant in the preparation and submission of proposals.